Denise Weaver Ross explores her understanding of the world through images richly layered with mythological, natural, cultural, and historical references. She feels the magic happens when disparate images combine to make a new and unexpected new image with the layers resonating with undiscovered meaning.
In her new series Postcards to America, she explores recent event in each of the fifty states in which the postcard dream of America is in direct conflict with its reality by layering idealized images from vintage postcards with images taken from current and historical events.
Denise has lived and worked in Albuquerque since 1996 and shows regularly at Ghostwolf and Tortuga Galleries. Some of her achievements and honors are listed below:
- 2019–completed fourth mural at the Orpheum Community Hub building at 500 2nd Street in Albuquerque. This mural celebrates the history and cultural of the Barelas neighborhood.
- 2018–designated a Local Treasure by the Albuquerque Business Arts Association and led a team of artists including Roe LiBretto and Joel Davis in creating a 24×90-foot mural that wraps around the Tortuga Gallery in Albuquerque. The mural was part of Mural Fest 2018 and celebrates the flora and fauna of Albuquerque’s Bosque. She showed the I Ching Hexagram series in a one-person show at Tortuga Gallery
- 2017–commissioned to do the poster painting for ¡Globalquerque!, Albuquerque’s annual world music festival, where she also exhibited her String series based on musical instruments. Earlier in 2017 she completed her second mural entitled We the People that depicts dancers from many cultural traditions along a 40-foot wall on Tapia Road in the South Valley.
- 2016—won Best in Show in the Las Vegas International Juried Art Competition at Jana’s RedRoom Gallery with one of the paintings from her House of Cards series and showed her Legendary Creatures series at Tortuga Gallery.
- 2015—her House of Cards series of fifty-six 26×40-inch paintings was displayed in at Tortuga Gallery. Three pieces from the series where also displayed in Times Square as part of the international SeeMe competition.
Denise graduated from the University of Massachusetts in Amherst with a Master of Fine Arts degree. She has exhibited in galleries and museums both nationally and internationally. A prolific artist, Denise is also a poet, with poems published in many anthologies as well as in five books of her own art and poetry.